Serving the living with sensitivity since 1885.

Frequent Questions

Click on the questions below to reveal each respective answer.

If you have a question that has not been answered above, please contact us with your question.

258 Prospect Street, Torrington. Across from the YMCA.

See our map and directions.

Yes. Our front entrance is barrier free. If you have special needs, call us in advance to see how we might help.

It is usually best to first call your home town funeral home. Calling 
Gleeson-Ryan Funeral Home first lets us step in right away to help you. 
We belong to an association of excellent funeral homes that enable us to call someone we know and that will extend us credit for expenses, etc. We would arrange with the out of town funeral home to safely have your relative returned home.

Yes. Most all newspapers charge. We find an average length obituary in the Register Citizen or the Waterbury Republican cost $300 per notice.

Gleeson-Ryan Funeral Home has an approved program where money is safely set aside in an Irrevocable Funeral Trust. Money placed here is not counted as an asset when you apply for financial aid. Learn more by going to our Preparing for Title 19 page.

Yes. There are no restrictions as to what can be placed in the casket.

Usually Gleeson-Ryan Funeral Home has the cremated remains ready for a family the day after the cremation took place.

No. We do not charge for this service. Whether you fill out a Pre Arrangement form and file it with us electronically or if you come in and meet with us in person; we will store and retain your instructions at no charge. At the time they are needed those instructions will be available to us and your family so everyone knows your wishes.

Yes. There are no restrictions as to who can make a casket. It can add a personal touch to the funeral ceremony. Gleeson-Ryan Funeral Home has always accepted home made caskets.

Yes. There are no restrictions in Connecticut as to where cremated remains may be dispersed. Common sense is needed in respect to private property and to avoid public places. Be discrete.

Overall the answer is usually yes. But all children are different and often reflect the anxiety of their parents. The best advice will come from your child him/herself. Answer all questions they have with the truth and if a child wants to attend, then they are usually ready to do so. It is important to make a child feel included in such an important family event.

The original death certificate is permanently on file at the town clerk's office in the town where the death occurred. Anyone may obtain a certified copy of the death certificate from the town clerk.

© 2024 Gleeson-Ryan Funeral Home. All Rights Reserved. Funeral Home website by CFS & TA | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Accessibility